In November 2022, OpenAI’s ChatGPT took the Internet by storm. People were talking about it as a powerful AI tool that can help users get prior information from the Internet. It was fun to use, having tried it with some of my colleagues at school. Two reasons it was taking over Twitter and other social media platforms were that students were submitting papers or requirements, or answering their tests using information that ChatGPT had generated in their queries. You’ll see on Tiktok for answer videos showing how to “hack” tests or papers using ChatGPT. These hacking ideas were usually tantamount to cheating or submitting requirements that involve misrepresentations.
Of course, the whole education community was fretting! Understandably, ChatGPT was the buzzword in many discussions. Through my recently published podcast episode on AI and ChatGPT, I would love to share my thoughts and reflections on these powerful tools. There are so many things to discuss, unravel, and reflect on and I hope that we in the education community continue to dig deeper into the potential and risks of such amazing and game-changing tools and platforms.
Here are some important ideas discussed in the podcast episode:
- That ChatGPT and other AI tools are here to stay and we can’t deny their presence in our lives. Hence, it is futile to deny their presence in the academic space.
- That the presence of ChatGPT pushes us to think of how we can use it and other AI tools to make teaching and learning better.
- That we, teachers and students, should be asking ourselves if we are truthful, honest, and fair when using ChatGPT and other AI tools. Are we practicing integrity when we make use of these tools?
- That the presence of ChatGPT and other AI tools is a driver and enabler for us to finally consider and shift to authentic assessments
- That the presence of ChatGPT and other AI tools should lead us to continue discussing academic integrity among ourselves and our students
- That we need to elevate the discussion on the level of values – what values should we develop in our students as they are given access to or use such powerful tools?
Give my podcast a listen. Listen on Apple Podcasts: https://apple.co/2kHX53u or Spotify: https://spoti.fi/2kEpabQ. Let me know what you think about ChatGPT and the presence of AI in the school and the world.