It’s a Sunday morning and rain is pouring. Out of the blue, I asked ChatGPT for a list of jobs that are in danger because of AI tools like ChatGPT. Here’s a list it quickly came up with:
- Data Entry and Data Processing: AI tools and automation can process and analyze large amounts of data much faster than humans, which may decrease the need for human data entry and processing jobs.
- Manufacturing and Assembly Line Jobs: AI-powered robots and automation can perform certain repetitive and manual tasks more efficiently, which may reduce the number of jobs in manufacturing and assembly lines.
- Transportation Jobs: Self-driving cars and trucks are becoming more advanced, which could lead to job losses for drivers and other transportation workers.
- Customer Service Jobs: AI-powered chatbots and virtual assistants can handle basic customer service inquiries, which may reduce the need for human customer service representatives.
- Accounting and Bookkeeping Jobs: AI-powered accounting software can automate certain tasks such as bookkeeping and tax preparation, which may reduce the need for human accountants.
- Financial Analysts: AI algorithms can analyze financial data and make predictions, which may reduce the need for human financial analysts.
- Legal Assistants: AI-powered software can perform legal research and document analysis, which may reduce the need for human legal assistants.
- Medical Diagnosticians: AI-powered systems can analyze medical data and images to assist with diagnoses, which may reduce the need for human medical diagnosticians.
- Writers and Journalists: AI-powered natural language processing tools can generate basic news articles and reports, which may reduce the need for human writers and journalists in certain areas.
- Retail and Sales Jobs: AI-powered software can analyze customer data and recommend products, which may reduce the need for human salespeople in certain roles.
AI tools are meant to automate specific jobs and make work more efficient, therefore, impacting the job market. For example, in the case of medical diagnosticians, AI can help reduce the workload of human doctors and allow them to focus on more complex cases or issues.
It’s important to note that while AI and automation may change the job market, they can also create new jobs and opportunities in fields such as data science, AI development, and robotics engineering. Additionally, many jobs will require a combination of human and AI skills in the future.
As educators and school leaders, how does this reality impact the way we prepare our students to navigate the present and face the future?